George H. McIntire railroad journals
Scope and Contents
These thirty-eight handwritten journals include the daily observations, appointments, and work duties of George H. McIntire (1830-1910) from 1861-1908. George H. McIntire served as the first superintendent of the Franklin Division Railroad for over 20 years. His journals reveal the daily tasks and challenges faced in the early days of railroading, specifically during the Pennsylvania oil boom. The journals also contain various calculations, expense inventory, financial data, and ore receipts. Additionally, the collection includes two small notepads with a list of railroad officials during McIntire’s tenure and an extract of the September 1986 agreement between Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, lessees of the Jamestown & Franklin RR, and Erie & Pittsburgh RR concerning oil transported from Oil City.
- Creation: 1861-1908
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Photocopies of original materials may be made available for research purposes at the discretion of the Eberly Family Special Collections Library. Photocopies or reproductions of original materials may be subject to fees as outlined by the Pennsylvania State University Libraries reproduction policies.
Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Patrons seeking advice on the availability of unpublished materials for publication should consult relevant copyright law and laws of libel.
Processed by Andi Mariano, November, 2013.
George H. McIntire was the first superintendent of the Franklin Division Railroad, a position he held for over 20 years during the Pennsylvania oil boom. This collection consists of 38 of his handwritten journals.
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Penn State University Libraries catalog via the link above. Archival collections may be housed in offsite storage. For materials stored offsite, please allow 2-3 business days for retrieval.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated by Luther W. Gette in November 2013.
Biographical / Historical
George H. McIntire was the first superintendent of the Franklin Division Railroad, which began operating in June 1867 from Jamestown to Stoneboro, Pennsylvania. As more locomotives converted to coal burning engines, railroad access to the coal mining town of Stoneboro, located near the Sandy Lake coal field, became a lucrative resource. The railroad was extended to Oil City, Pennsylvania, in 1870 to transport crude and refined oil throughout the country. The Franklin Division Railroad, as a passenger and freight line, continued to see expansion through 1915 from Ashtabula, Ohio, to Youngstown, Ohio, and Clearfield, Pennsylvania. The railroad catered to Mercer Iron & Coal Company, which ran three coal mines until its bankruptcy in 1924, yet the Jamestown & Franklin Railroad continued to carry petroleum products through World War II.
- Guide to the George H. McIntire railroad journals
- Andi Mariano
- November 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2023: Lexy deGraffenreid updated standardized notes to current standard, October 2023